Tuesday, December 9, 2014

How Important is Doctrine?

Philippians 3:1-14

Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord. To write the same things to you, to me indeed is not grievous, but for you it is safe. Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the concision. For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh. Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more: Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee; Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless. But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead. Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

What an awesome segment of scripture! It is not only evident that Paul was dealing with Jews who were religiously zealous in the law and overly confident in the flesh, but he also had come to grips with the temptation to do the same. He mentions some individuals who are "evil workers." These today just get labeled as "having different opinions." Paul actually calls them dogs.

Notice how Paul stresses the need of "forgetting those things which are behind." Many doctrinal hiccups, or even intentional errors, are often products of doctrinal baggage. Paul's point here is that he left his status, religious superiority and personal achievements so that he could fully pursue his identity in Christ. This is a very large predicament that Mid-Acts Dispensationalists find themselves in; they now understand God's Word, rightly divided, but cannot let go of the corruption of his or her denominational backgrounds. There is necessity in letting go of that "dung" so we can pursue "the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus."

It is stunning to read words like that when you compare today's churches attitude toward different, incorrect, doctrines.

There is definitely an attitude of indifference that comes from many Christians in conversation. "Some people just have different opinions." Really? Is that the instructional insight we have received?

1 Timothy 1:3-4
As I besought thee to abide still at Ephesus, when I went into Macedonia, that thou mightest charge some that they teach no other doctrine, Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.

Absolutely Not! Timothy personally received instructions in how to handle false doctrines. He was instructed to correct it and to charge the "some" who were teaching wrongly to clean up the act.

We have to remember, an ambassador is not only a representative, but is also responsible for defending a correct view of who the ambassador is representing.

1 Timothy 6:1
Let as many servants as are under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honour, that the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed.

Both our behavior and teaching is, along with our tolerance of both, in ourselves or other believers, is the determinant test of whether or not we are to be blamed for God's name and His doctrine being blamed. There is great responsibility in being ambassadors.

Titus 3:8-10
This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men. But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain. A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject;

How serious was doctrinal purity in the early church? Not only were there strict orders to protect the doctrine by correct teaching, but also there was seriousness to avoiding individuals, after they were addressed, who were guilty to teaching things contrary to Paul's doctrine.

1 Timothy 4:16
Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.

Timothy was warned of the importance of keeping himself and his audience from false doctrines. (The "save" here refers to saving an individual from wrong doctrine, not salvation. )

May we pick up the charge of Paul and do the same in the church today. May we efficiently and boldly represent our Savior and the Pauline doctrine He has given for the church today!

1 comment:

  1. Amen. Acceptance of false doctrine is completely unacceptable. When I left the denominational church, I had one of the men call me and ask me what was going on. I told him, "I left because I don't follow the doctrine that is taught in that church. And, I won't attend another one until I agree with the doctrine." He responds, "What is doctrine anyway?" ......case and point.

    ReplyDelete